Friday, August 3, 2012

Close Encounters

We began the day driving into Wyoming (another new state to us). . . 

We were impressed with the visitors center. . . 

We headed to Devils Tower National Monument (made famous by the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind- I've never seen the movie, and am not a fan of aliens, but an curious about it now) . . . 

We marveled at the gigantic rock. . .

We drove right by a field of prairie dogs. . .

And we kept driving, back to South Dakota, then on to North Dakota. I did a lot more knitting, and finished listening to The Hunger Games  (As a side note: I was very curious about the story and saw the potential for an incredible good vs. evil battle. Upon reading it I did see and appreciate sacrificial love that was shown, but was not satisfied with the book as a whole. Though there were glimpses of good being greater, I felt that the characters didn't grow and the Capitol was a kind of rotten god who had the ultimate power. I have begun reading the second book, and am interested to see if the series ties things up well. Overall, I think it has a lot worthy of discussion and would love to hear any thoughts you have on it.) I also listened to music. . .  


While stopping at a gas station, we spotted a pony. . .

We drove by fields and hills and heavy clouds that seemed to touch the ground. . . 

We entered Theodore Roosevelt National Park in 58 degree weather and dodged drops of rain. . .

We admired the North Dakota Badlands. . .

We saw a bison way off in the distance (so, not a technically close encounter, but close enough :). . .

We saw the sky grow bright again. . .

I untangled and wound grey yarn. . . 

And we ate a late dinner at a Texas road house in Montana (ironically, we had eaten at one in South Dakota the last two nights- turns out they are helpful with food allergies). . .

So we didn't really encounter any danger, but we're getting closer to the North West- one state, park, monument, gas station, restaurant, and day at a time. Blessings~ Megan 

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love your pictures of the sky and the prairie!! And I'm so glad you got to go see Devil's Tower. Did you read about its Indian legend? It is really interesting, isn't it?!! I love your Welcome Center photo, too! FUN!! :)

Megan said...

Thanks! We did read about the Devil's Tower Indian legend- so fascinating!