Monday, March 7, 2011

Comfort Outside Comfort Zones

Saturday morning was the annual Salvation Army Omelet Brunch. For the past few years, my mom has gone down early to help. My dad, sisters, and I have then come down a little while later and we have eaten breakfast together. This year, though, the routine changed a little bit. I was old enough to help.

My mom and I arrived at the old brick building bright and early. We signed in, picked up red aprons, and went into the chapel. Tables were set, coffee was being made, and my mom explained to me what would happen.

There were three main jobs: Filling cups, swapping baskets running low on donuts for baskets full of them, and clearing dirty place settings.  

I am not very outgoing, especially with strangers. Quiet usually describes me. Not shy, but quiet. This, added to the fact that I was by far the youngest person there, made me thankful for my mom. Things sounded simple enough with her there walking me through it.  If I had any questions (or problems) I could simply ask her. She was my comfort zone.

Then the peaceful chapel transformed into a dining room. There were more and more cups to fill. More and more baskets to exchange. More and more place setting to clear.

I found myself on the opposite side of the room as my mom. She was close, but not close enough to talk for me, if I couldn't find the words to say.

But, the words came.

I experienced the beautiful result of serving: losing oneself. 

There was the shield of service I could hide behind. I was not just Megan, quiet and unsure. I was in comfort outside my comfort zone.

Before long, the shift was over. I took off the apron and was simply someone ready to eat breakfast.

It was good to be back in my comfort zone, but I was glad that zone had grown. 


Continuing with gratitude. . . 

 216. Omelet Brunch


217. Donuts

218. New friends

219. Aprons


220. Rainy days

221. Blue Skies

222. Fresh fruit


223. Books on CD

224. My journal


 225. Popcorn/Smoothie dinners


 226. Plane tickets and new suitcases for a upcoming trip. My dad is having to go out of town more often with his job, and we are going to go with him in a few months. It will be Youngest Sister's first time on an airplane, but Middle Sister hasn't flown since she was a baby and I haven't flown since I was five. My dad has been sharing with us some of the rules about what we can and can't pack. For instance, he says we won't be able to bring our regular-sized tooth pastes. I just hope knitting needles are allowed. . .


227. A jog with Middle Sister and my dad

228. The right words

230. Expanded comfort zones


May your week comfortably stretch you~ Megan

5 comments:

Beth said...

I jumped over from Ann's and I like 224. as I too am grateful for my journals. Your writing and your photos are amazing. I enjoyed stopping and reading at your site tonight.
Blessings, Beth

donna rae said...

Megan, thanks so much for stopping by my blog to read my list. I was touched by your 'out of the comfort zone' story... thank you for sharing it with us.

Rayanne said...

I agree....it's good to be stretched.
219. great photo, love the colors.
lovely site here.

Laura said...

Megan~I loved reading about your experience in serving! Isn't it cool to discover that God is so good in giving us more ability than we ever thought we could have when we reach the end of what we think we are capable of doing?! And in this dependence on Him...to help us do what we cannot do on our own...there is so much joy! I love hearing about how God is working in your life, and I love you and am so proud of you.
Love,
Aunt Laura

hannah said...

WOW!!! that's an awesome picture of that apple, Megan!!! you are such a talented photographer! love ya!
-love hannah