Saturday, December 31, 2011

Painting the Last Week of 2011 With Grace

Another week, one full of celebrations, has been painted.


This means I now have fifty-two calendar paintings. 
This means I really and truly made it through the whole year. 



The pages are in chronological order in a notebook, but they are by no means orderly.
The corners curl.
The sizes vary. 
The paintings vary.
Some look better than others. 

This was an experiment. 
An imperfect attempt at combining art and time. 
Still, I knew it would be this way. 

The surprise was how much grace, my word for 2011, fit into the picture. 

Grace through curling corners.
Grace through varying sizes.
Grace through varying paintings.
Grace through messy.

This last painting was one of a few that I had to enlist the help of scrap paper and glue to cover up mistaken dates. It took effort to put Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday in their proper places.   

Ironic how grace does the same thing. 
Covering up imperfections.
Smoothing over mistakes. 
Giving another chance. 

Of course, grace does that seamlessly, unlike my paper and glue. 

Maybe that is why grace is so amazing. 


For history I recently read about Jonathan Edwards
(a preacher, theologian, and missionary, though not a painter as far as I know.)

He was quoted as saying "Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected."
I wrote this down, seeing only the word grace.

Now, as I look forward to 2012, I appreciate the thought behind it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this year of grace and painted weeks.
But this new year is full of new, wonderful possibilities.
I have new projects in mind.
I have a new word to share.
And there is more glory to find along the way.

Blessings to you~ Megan

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love curling pages and texture, Megan! And you calendar pages this year have been beautiful.

Laura said...

Megan~I have loved seeing the paintings on your calendar pages this year! Thanks for sharing the gift God has given you! I love you and am looking forward to seeing all the wonderful ways God will use you and bless you in 2012!
Love,
Aunt Laura

Megan said...

Thank you, Jennifer and Aunt Laura! I am glad you have enjoyed seeing my calendar paintings.