Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Middle Sister's Surprise Party

On January 9th my Mom, sisters, and I set out for the roller skating rink which (supposedly) had a special deal for skating from 9:00-11:00. My Dad (supposedly) had to help my grandparents, so he wasn't in the van with us.

As we backed out of our garage and into our driveway, my Mom asked if the van had been driven for a few days. No one thought it had (due to lots of snow) so my Mom proposed we let it warm up in our driveway until the song on the radio ended. We waited, and I noticed that we were a few minutes early from the time I had heard we should leave. You see, I was in on the surprise.

I had helped keep the party a secret. The night before (under the accurate excuse that I needed help on math) my Dad and I had made a playlist of songs birthday girl Middle Sister liked. The songs were going to be played the next morning.

Before too long, the song on the radio ended and we pulled out of our driveway. We were about 3 minutes away from the rink when my Mom missed the exit. I don't think it was an accident, as there were still 5 minutes before we were supposed to arrive. My Mom quickly "realized" her mistake and turned around at not the first, but the second place possible. We got back to where we had been and turned on the exit.

Another glance at the clock told me we had more than enough time to get to the rink (which wasn't too good considering this was supposed to be a surprise). We were practically crawling down a side road, taking more precaution of the recently snowed on roads than necessary. I had to work quite hard so I wouldn't burst out laughing. To my dismay, I also had trouble not saying things like "You'll get to show your cousins you got your braces off!". Needless to say, it was a long 3 minutes.

Eventually we pulled into the parking lot of the rink and walked inside. The cameras were ready!



Middle Sister was indeed surprised, and latter admitted to being a little mad at first. We tell each other pretty near everything, so this secret came as quite a memorable shock!



Everyone eagerly crowded around Middle Sister, wishing her a happy birthday and asking "Were you surprised?". Pretty soon, the buzz died down (to some extent). People snacked on donuts (which were substituted for cake, it being 9:00 a.m. and all), got skates on, and hit the rink!

There were chains formed-



games played-




And a fun time had by all! Happy Birthday Middle Sister!!! ~Megan

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I glad Sophie had a good time!!! It was fun seeing her face.

Brooke

Hannah the Artistic Dancer said...

What a great day!

Hannah