Friday, January 28, 2011

One Wild Moment

Youngest Sister plays downstairs
Grapefruit dances on my tongue
I am savoring the moment, the break
Poetry goes through my head
Just a couple lines studied yesterday
About paths and ways and life
I wonder about today

Middle Sister asks what I am doing
A pen now in hand
Above a piece of paper
"I am writing," I say
Not a satisfying response
She is ready to leave
Then I add, "A poem"

The poem has neither rhyme nor rhythm
Even though I love rhymes
Maybe I am looking for a rhyme
Something to hold the day together
Youngest Sister wants me to play
Sentences need to be diagrammed
And yet I am here

The clock steadily ticks
Warning of passing time
I remember again the poems
About way leading on to way
One step, tick, moment at a time
I am choosing what to do
With my one wild and precious life


The poems about ways leading on to ways and precious life: "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost and "The Summer Day" by Mary Oliver 


~Megan

No comments: